3 cups of dried, raw chickpeas (these must be “activated” overnight or ideally 24 hours before by soaking in water with 1T of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, changed every 12 hours)
4T olive oil (may need a little more depending on texture)
1 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, or rocket
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves or herbs of your choice
6-8 cloves of fresh garlic, minced or finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 tsp ground sea / rock or kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, with the oven rack in the middle position
- Thinly coat a baking tray with avocado or olive oil
- In a food processor, combine the soaked and drained chickpeas, red onion, herbs, garlic, spices, salt & pepper.
- Process until smooth, about one minute, slowly adding the olive oil until it comes together
- Using your hands, scoop out about 2T of the mixture at a time. Shape the falafel into small patties,
- about 2cm wide and 1cm thick. Lay them on your baking tray
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, then remove the tray from the oven and carefully flip each one.
- They should be a golden brown on the underside. Return them to the oven and bake for about another 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown on both sides.
Makes about 25 falafels.
The falafels can be frozen raw or semi-cooked for easy grab-and-go.
These make the perfect healthy party platter snack. Serve with hummus or pesto of your choice.